Local Lodge

Home Promotional Contact us Forms Organizing

Health & Safety 


Local Lodge 1660, always concerned about supporting its members battling a work or road accident or any other injury, has approached certain medical centers offering health care to accident victims. Our choice: Les Centres de Médecine Industrielle(CMI) Polyclinique Médicale Populaire, and Multiclinique.

CMI Montérégie

601 rue Adoncour suite 101
Longueuil Québec J4G 2M6
Téléphone: (450) 442-1018
Fax: (450) 442-1967

CMI St-Laurent
300 Marcel Laurin, Bureau 102
St-Laurent Québec H4M 2L4
Téléphone: (514) 747-9936
Fax: (514) 747-9331

CMI Yamaska 

5425 boul. Laurier Suite 101
Saint-Hyacinthe Québec J2S 3V6
Téléphone: (450) 773-7073
Fax: (450) 773-5703

Polyclinique Médicale Populaire
1988, rue Ste-Catherine Est
Montréal Québec H2K 2H7
Téléphone: (514) 524-3637
Fax: (514) 524-3638


1465 rue Bélanger est
Montréal Québec H2G 1A5
Téléphone: (514) 7282264
Fax: (514) 728-7076



Practicle guide for when you have a work accident
or a professional disease.

The right to refuse work

A worker has the right to refuse to do any given work if has good reason to believe that this work is dangerous, either to himself or to another person. Nevertheless, he may not exercise this right if his refusal will endanger another person, or if the conditions of the task are considered a normal part of the work.

When a worker decides to exercise his right to refuse, here is what he must do:

The worker must advise his employeur or immediate superior as soon as possible, and give him the reasons for his refusal.

He must then remain available on the premises to do other work that his employer may assign to him, or that he is capable of doing.

The employer must then ask for a meeting with the Safety Representative so that they can  examine the situation together, and decide on any corrective measures which may be taken. If a Safety Representative is not available, the employer may ask for a meeting with a Union Representative, or another employee designated by the worker who has exercised the refusal.

If the employer and the Safety Representative both deem that the refusal was justified, the necessary corrective measures should be taken before the employee can resume the work.

If they deem that there is really no risk, the employee may return to his work, or if he persists in his refusal, he may ask for an intervention by a C.S.S.T. Inspector.

If the employer and the Safety Representative cannot agree on the existance of a danger, nor on the corrections to be made, either one of them may ask for the intervention of a C.S.S.T.  inspector.

The Inspector's decision should be made on site, even if the parties disagree. This decision, nevertheless, may be contested on appeal at the revision office.

In certain cases, the employer may ask another employee to replace the one who has exercised his right to refse. He must, however, inform the other employee of the refusal, and of the reasons which were given. This employee, in turn, may also refuse to do the work.

The worker who exercises his right to refuse continues to collect his salary. Even if he refuses to execute a task, he is, in effect, considered to be on the job. Also, any other employees affected by the work stoppage will continue to be paid. However, they also must accept to do other work which their employer may assign them, as long as they are able to do the work.

No sanction will be taken against an employee who has exercised his right to refuse, unless he has abused this right.

Back to top